Nova Scotia

Commercial redfish fishery in Gulf of St. Lawrence expected to resume later this month

Nova Scotia·New

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans says the reopening of the redfish fishery in the Gulf of St. Lawrence could begin as early as June 15. It has announced the total allowable catch will be 60,000 tonnes for 2024-25.

DFO sets quota at 60,000 tonnes for 2024-25

The redfish population in the Gulf of St. Lawrence peaked in 2019, but has decreased since then. (Department of Fisheries and Oceans)

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans says the reopening of the redfish fishery in the Gulf of St. Lawrence could begin as early as June 15 and has announced the total allowable catch will be 60,000 tonnes for 2024-25.

DFO announced the changes in a statement Friday.

The department had said previously that the minimum allowable catch for the fishery would be 25,000 tonnes, but had not provided a cap.

The commercial redfish fishery closed in 1995 over stock concerns.

Questions remain about the fishery almost three decades later. The redfish population has declined in recent years, peaking at an estimated 4.3-million tonnes in 2019 and declining to 2.5-million tonnes in the most recent stock assessment.

Corrections and clarifications|Submit a news tip|

See also  Hammonds Plains trio booked for drug trafficking on Halloween

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button