In the aftermath of the cyberattack, Suncor’s damage control efforts continue

CALGARY – Canada’s top cybersecurity technical authority says it is working closely with Suncor Energy Inc. in the wake of a high-profile system breach at the energy giant.
The Canadian Center for Cyber Security says it cannot release details about the cybersecurity incident that caused payment systems to fail at many of Suncor’s Petro-Canada locations across the country last week.
Sami Khoury, head of the center — which leads Canada’s federal response to cybersecurity incidents — says efforts at Suncor are still ongoing and sharing information too quickly could jeopardize those efforts.
Suncor has not provided details about the type of cyberattack that occurred or if any of its other businesses were affected.
Some experts have said the Suncor system breach will likely cost the company millions of dollars before it is resolved.
Khoury says the Canadian Center for Cyber Security recently briefed senior oil and gas executives on how to mitigate the cybersecurity risk facing the industry.
This report from The Canadian Press was first published on July 5, 2023.
Companies in this story: (TSX:SU)